66 Shadows

D.G. ~Shameless Reader~

Awesome audiobook production

Beautiful Creatures  - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia

**3 stars for story plus 1 bonus star for the audiobook production**

I've seen this book around but I've never stumbled in a discussion about it and it's never been recommended to me even though I read plenty of YA. I just picked it up because it fit a challenge...I'm so glad I did!

This is one of the best audiobook productions I've listened. Not only was the narration spot on, but the use of special effects really added to the dark atmosphere. And that song! A few times when the song came on, I felt goosebumps down my neck, it so freaked me out (even if I couldn't understand the lyrics because the singer's vocalization was a bit muffled.)

The story was good but a bit protracted - I think I would have lost my patience with the back and forth between the characters if I hadn't been captivated by the audio. I particularly liked having the book being told from the male perspective - isn't it amazing that when we have male POV there's no love triangle! Anyhow, Ethan was a great character all around - so polite, sweet and loving. A few times when he would say or do something particularly romantic, I let out a few 'Awwwwww!'

I wished the authors would have found a different plot device to create a conflict than having the adults withdraw information from Ethan & Lena. This business of I can't tell you anything because you can't handle the truth was ridiculous. It's like telling a woman who's pregnant that they won't talk to her about giving birth because you think she'll freak out. It doesn't matter whether she can handle it or not, she WILL HAVE TO FACE IT so isn't it better if she has all the pertinent info when she can digest it instead that at the moment of truth?

I really enjoyed the tie-in with the Civil War and the Southern small town atmosphere, although I think the authors took 'you're not one of us' a bit too far. I don't know if they were trying to make a point or what but it seemed over the top.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Nothing seemed to have been solved and it's almost as if we're starting all over again.

Kevin T. Collins rocked the narration. I'm not much for Southern accents but his voice for Ethan was really sexy (yeah, yeah...sexiness in the main male character's voice is a must have for me ...I need to feel the guy! :p) His pacing, emotion and interpretation were all there. I will be definitely looking for other books narrated by him.

Definitely continuing the series in audio but I really hope the second book doesn't disappoint.