66 Shadows
40 Shadowing
audiolover

D.G. ~Shameless Reader~

Realistic fiction disguised as a mystery

Faithful Place  - Tana French, Tim Gerard Reynolds

Like past books in this series, this is realistic fiction disguised as a mystery. Yes, there is a dead body but the investigation is just the excuse to unravel the story of a family and how sometimes to survive, a person needs to get away.

This story is real, sad, powerful and full of despair with characters that sometimes you don't like but can understand. It was more about the dynamics of a f*cked up family and their influence on each other. How sometimes what we are is a more of a reaction of what we don’t want to be.The mystery was as usual, sub-par. The murderer was the obvious person and there were lots of loose ends. This is not a book for the mystery reader that likes his/her solutions nice and tidy. This is more of a real life situation where not even the reader will ever learn everything that happened.

The flashbacks of Rosie and Frank broke my heart. Ms. French did an excellent job of bringing the victim to life so the reader could see them as a real person and not just a body. As you learn more about her, you get this incredible sense of loss and sadness of what could have been.

The book wasn’t as gloomy and depressing as it could have been because of Holly, Frank’s 9-year old daughter. Their conversations and interactions weren’t always light but at least they represented a more normal family relationship where the child feels safe and protected with her parents. Exactly the opposite of Frank’s situation, where his parents always seemed to pick the road that would hurt their children the most.

Tim Gerard Reynold did an excellent job with the narration (although is singing was atrocious.) His Irish accent was distinctive enough that it was understood but not so strong that it was unintelligible. His portrayal of the different characters was on the money and the voices were distinctive enough that you could know who they were as soon they spoke.

Overall, a really strong book and my favorite in the series. I would recommend it to anybody who doesn’t mind a sad story with just a twinkle of hope at the end (believe it or not, this is an improvement from the previous books in the series who almost make you want to throw yourself out of a window.)