66 Shadows
audiolover

D.G. ~Shameless Reader~

What a delight!

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Audiocd) - Mark Twain, Grover Gardner

I've tried to read this book several times and I never got past the first chapter. But once I started listening to the wonderful narration of Grover Gardner, I couldn't stop listening and was laughing every other minute. Thanks so much, Mr. Gardner! (More about the narration later.)

The situations in this book reminded me a lot of my childhood because I also grew up poor in a rural environment with no toys or regimentation so my cousins and I had to find our own amusements. Most of our playing consisted of exploring the wilderness, sliding down hills, climbing wild trees "looking for" mangoes/oranges/whatever fruit was in season, visiting the aqueduct (for which we got 'licked' several times), warring with the children of a neighboring family (which I never liked because I didn't consider it civilized) and getting ourselves into all sorts of mischief. :)While listening to this book, I couldn't stop laughing (people in the Subway kept looking at me like I was a weirdo.) Some of conversations between the boys were simply hysterical, like this one when they're discussing their future life as robbers:

"Now less fetch the guns and things," said Huck.

"No, Huck -- leave them there. They're just the tricks to have when we go to robbing. We'll keep them there all the time, and we'll hold our orgies there, too. It's an awful snug place for orgies."

"What orgies?"

"I dono. But robbers always have orgies, and of course we've got to have them, too.

Or when Tom is telling Huck that he cannot let him into the gang if he's not respectable because:

A robber is more high-toned than what a pirate is -- as a general thing. In most countries they're awful high up in the nobility -- dukes and such."

The narration by Grover Gardner was simply wonderful. The omniscient narrator sounded like a slightly amused and indulgent uncle enjoying the follies of rambunctious nephews while the voices of Tom & Huck were imbued with an innocence and sense of playfulness that you can only find in the very young.

Now I'm looking forward to Huck Finn more than ever and I'll be sure to read more books by Twain.