66 Shadows
40 Shadowing
audiolover

D.G. ~Shameless Reader~

Two huge pet peeves...no wonder I didn't like it

Bet Me - Jennifer Crusie

After reading this, I don’t think I’ll eat Chicken Marsala ever again.

The heroine of this book ate Chicken Marsala in two different restaurants, twice for takeout, at a wedding, at a dinner with her friends and cooked it 4 times with different levels of success. I don’t know if there’s anything more boring than a person who never tries anything new (if I’d been the hero, I’d have stopped dating her just because of this.)

I enjoyed the first part of the book – the humor was not over the top and the plot was wacky but not creepy. Then as the book progressed, I found two of my big pet peeves: adults that don’t confront their parents when they’re out of line and the demonizing of men. You see, I had a mother like Min’s so I totally understand what it is to live with constant criticism regarding my figure. But when I was in my 20s, I had a very firm chat with my Mom about it and told her I wouldn’t tolerate that behavior. Did my Mother stop completely? Of course not, but at least now it’s manageable and not humiliating like it used to be. And that’s why I cannot respect Min who at 33-years old, should not let her mother choose her hairdo, her clothes or the food she eats.

I HATED how Cal was demonized because he dated a lot. He was so nice and thoughtful that women fell in love with him in droves and when he realized they were more serious than him, he would break up with them. The bastard! Doesn’t he know that once a woman falls in love with him, he owes her a ring no matter his feelings? He made them fall in love! It’s his fault! Because you know, women are little girls that cannot take responsibility for their own feelings and must get every man they want. **Throwing up now**

Then the ending was so saccharine, I don’t think I’ll eat anything sweet for a month.

The narration was good but I don’t think that Cal’s voice was distinctive enough. But what makes this narration really irritating is the author’s writing style. Almost every line of dialogue ends in ‘he said’ or ‘she said’ so after a while, I wanted to shoot myself. I had to speed up this book a lot, just to see if I could stop hearing ‘so and so said’ after every sentence.

Because I liked the humor, I was thinking that I should give this author another shot, but then I thought that for the first time ever, an author has put me off food. If nothing else, that’s my clue that I should never read anything by this author again. She's liable to make me swear off bread or chocolate and THAT I couldn't stand.